This recipe is a quick-bite, easy, very common Polish street food that was always an exciting part of any trip or holiday for me. You can find zapiekankas in any Polish city, but the most famous ones are from Kazimierz in Krakow, where they can be found in various flavours and with crazy toppings. You can find small, single-serve ones or giant ones that are over 3 feet long! These are made for sharing with friends - which makes them perfect the refuel food after a long day of sightseeing.. or after a crazy night out!
Here's my recipe for recreating this perfect combo of crunchy bread and melted cheese at home - enjoy! This is the classic version, but you could make it your own by adding any topping you like. Think sliced tomatoes, chillies.. or even some of our steak chunks!
INGREDIENTS (makes 4 servings)
2 French baguettes
200g Plant-based Cheese (Mozzarella Style)
150g Smoky Flavour Rashers, chopped into rough bits
30g Plant-based butter
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
A pinch of salt, ground pepper and nutmeg
4 Spring onions
Mayo/ketchup.. as required :)
WHAT TO DO
1. Pre-heat the oven at 200 degrees celsius on a grill setting.
2. Chop onion and spring onion in small chunks and grate the mushroom with a cheese greater.
3. Add the oil to a non-stick pan and once hot add the onions, let them cook until golden.
4. Add the grated mushrooms and let them cook until all the water from the mushrooms evaporates, then add the salt and pepper and the nutmeg.
5. Cut the baguettes in half and spread the butter on them.
6. Add the mushrooms and onion on the baguettes using a large spoon.
7. Top it up with our Smoky flavour rashers (chopped in little chunks) and cover it with cheese!
8. Place the baguettes in the oven for 5/10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bread is crunchy.
9. Finally add the chopped spring onion on top for extra crunchiness and the mayo and ketchup!